Friday, August 24, 2012

Points to Ponder: Hankerchief Slits


Some side saddles have a handkerchief slit cut into the off side flap.  This has often perplexed me as I have never seen a photo or drawing of a handkerchief here, nor is it addressed in any of the rules of appointments.



It was suggested the other day on the Facebook group, that it would have been inappropriate (un-ladylike) while out hunting, to holler Tally-Ho! when you viewed the fox, and that a lady should wave her hanky.  Now this actually makes sense for more than one reason.  While out hunting, it is often frowned upon to "Halloa" or "Tally-Ho" because this distraction will not only startle the fox, but lift the heads of the hounds.  Fox hounds are scent hounds, not sight hounds.  If they lift their heads they may lose the scent, and the fox may now be out of sight and lost for good. 

On the occasions when it is inadvisable to holler, a gentleman should indicate a sighting of the fox by facing his horse in that direction and removing his hat, hold it outstretched in the direction the fox has gone.  Now suppose you are a lady out hunting in the early 20th century, and you have your hat pinned to your hair, or better yet, secured with a veil which covers the entire face and is snugged up under your chin.  How do you signal?  It makes sense that you might pull your hanky from your saddle and use that instead of your hat.


And this brings up another question.  If you were wearing a veil, what other use would you have for a hanky?  Is it possible, or even advisable, to blow your nose through a hunting veil? 

These are the things that keep me up at night.

7 comments:

  1. I always thought that slit was for rain gloves. A lady wears brown leather gloves, unless it is raining; she then changes to string gloves, which do not slip on wet reins like leather might.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rain gloves are white string and should be sized to fit over your leather gloves. They should be "carried fingers forward on off (right) side under billets and just showing in front of saddle flap with the thumbs facing upward." (Per the appointments guidlines)

      Delete
  2. Maybe you should do a post on the various niceties of appointments.

    Or a list of appointment problems that keep you up at night ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a thought about that handkerchief pocket yesterday. I was at a dressage show and I always keep my tests written on small pieces of paper so I can tuck them in my pocket. I wish my sidesaddle had a handkerchief pocket to tuck my tests into! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you can always slide a hankie under the veil if need be. If your nose is running, you do what you need to do!

    My understanding on the hankie slit is that it is the evolution from the offside purse you see into the 1890s (judging from my photo collection). The hankie itself could be used to wrap coins, used as tolls or tips for field hands opening gates and such. Now, I don't recall where I read that bit about tips, but it makes sense to me.

    You might be astounded at how truly underrepresented the slits are in my image collection compared to the purses, especially given their frequency today. Though it may have to do with the eras the collection de facto represents, and when slits came into vogue.

    Is there a way to post photos here? I have one image of what I believe are gloves in that slit, and more than one of what is likely a hankie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see the photo and would be happy to post it here for you. You can email this blog at wpgrey123@gmail.com

      Delete